Let Us Major on Love

Love One Another (Hands)My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God. The person who refuses to love doesn’t know the first thing about God, because God is love—so you can’t know him if you don’t love. 1 John 4:7-8 (Message)

The Christian world needs an attitude adjustment. I believe we are seriously heading in the wrong direction. It seems we are more reflective of the attitude of the world than we are of the Word of God.

I am constantly surprised when I hear hate expressed from a Christian—either in word or deed. I am not surprised by anything a non-Christian does because they do not propose to live by the dictates of the Bible—which is God’s written Word. But a professing Christian expressing hate toward another person, saved or not, is beyond belief!

As Believers, we must get rid of the ‘parrot’ mentality—to repeat or imitate without thought or understanding. This has become almost an epidemic for Christians because far too many of us depend on others (parent, pastor, priest, etc.), to tell us what God is saying; instead of reading the Bible, praying, and trusting God to lead us…believe me, He actually knows how to do it.

This is important because many of us do a better job of representing our job, school, family, or favorite sports team, than we do our God! Too often, the extent of our knowledge of God is limited to what we have heard from others. This is not an indictment against anyone you may trust where the Word of God is concerned, but it is to call attention to the responsibility we have to know God for ourselves.

Many have rendered themselves submitted to someone else’s opinion of God more than they have submitted to God Himself. This positions us to rely on feelings and theory—rather than truth! It is the belief in and submission to the Truth of God’s Word that gives us the power to be the light of God that this world needs to see! You know how you have to grope around in a dark room to find your way? This is how it is in this world when no light is shown.

In the same way your light must shine before people, so that they will see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven.Matthew 5:16 (GNT)

People think it is okay to be rebellious, revengeful, and hateful; what they don’t know is, it is against God’s Word to be so. My friends, if we behave like the world, what’s the difference between us and them? Any person on this earth should be able to look at a Believer and see a difference in their life and living. We have a responsibility to show the love and hope of God in our daily lives; this is the light that the world needs to see. There is plenty of preaching but are we being the living Word?

Far too many people can tell you about God’s judgment and not enough can tell you about His love. It is His love that allowed Jesus to die on the cross!

God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 10 This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other.1 John 9:11 (NLT)

Since our very existence is predicated upon God’s love for us, it would be appropriate for us to replicate that love towards others because the alternative is not so pretty. Love your neighbors, love your friends, love your enemies, show love to strangers. It has nothing to do with how we are treated or how we may feel because we are commanded to love.

“Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.”John 13:34-35 (Message)

We have the obligation to live the scriptures more than what we have heard someone (anyone) say. Everything we do is a seed planted and we need to take heed of the type of seeds we are planting…whether they are the seeds of love or of discord and hate. The scripture declares: “Do not be fooled. You cannot fool God. A man will get back whatever he plants!Galatians 6:7 (NLV).

Our relationship with God is personal, not private, and should be reflective of His love for us. Therefore, allow the love of God coming from within us be what distinguishes us from the world-at-large.

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Click the logo below to listen to my audio podcast

FaithFirstLogoDark

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in Devotional, Kingdom of God, Love, The Gospel, Today's Word
38 comments on “Let Us Major on Love
  1. craiglock says:

Great blog. All the best with your ministry, Sebastian
    God IS blessing you

c

2. craiglock says:

Great blog.All the best with your ministry, Sebastian

God IS clessing you

c

3. nelsonRN says:

i love this post.thanks for sharing!

4. A must read post for all. Love will help heal all wounds and bring together people and hearts. God bless.

5. LOVE THIS!! William and I have to ALWAYS be reminded to love everyone HAHA! I consider ourselves compassionate people, but, like so many others we fall and it’s awful. We stopped going to church a while back because the church I like disowned a member because she left her husband. She was unhappy and didn’t feel like they should be together, because of that they treated her poorly and she moved away. It killed me! Thank you for this Sebastian! I hope this opens a lot of people’s eyes.

We all need to be reminded of this from time to time. Stories like the on you shared breaks my heart because many churches put on a good face of being “religious” but fall way short in the loving department. I hope to call attention to this. Blessings to you both!

6. […] Let Us Major on Love (faith1stministries.com) […]

7. {5} For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth {o} in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

8. Amen. I Listened to the podcast. Great Word.

9. Sebastian, youdid not just teach about love, you imparted it. That is the power of a Spirit-filled preacher. God bless you.

10. Hey Pastor Sabastian, thank you for a much needed loving admonition about love. It does seem like the church is heading down the wrong path. I think each one of us should seriously consider changing course. May the Lord continue to bless and use you.
    walter

Thanks Pastor for sharing another wonderful and need word!I enjoyed the read and may God continue to use and bless you.
    Love you 😀

12. isaiah43123 says:

“… many of us do a better job of representing our job, school, family, or favorite sports team, than we do our God!” This is an accurate description of many professed believers today (sadly at times, I must include myself here). God desires to saturate us with Himself. Only after we allow Him to do so can we run to the darkness shining His light for all to see.
    Keep the Faith!

13. An excellent, excellent, excellent article, Sebastion!

14. Jerry Cartwright says:

I wholeheartily agree with all of your thoughts in this lesson of love. I have been thinking many of the same thoughts for some reason. The Light in men is so important to understand, that is why I named my blog “Jesus is the light of men”. John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. God bless you!

• Hello, Mr. Cartwright. I noticed your comment here on Sebastian’s blog, and I wanted to hop over to visit your site and encourage you in your blog ministry. I visited your blog and wanted to comment on an article I read there. However, when I tried to comment, all I could get was a Google+ box, and it would not let me write in it. I have blogs here on WordPress and on Blogspot as well, but I couldn’t comment from either one. I’m just letting you know so that you can check to see if your settings on your site are where you want them. You may not want comments from people, and that’s fine, of course. But if you do, I think you have to set your account settings to say that “anyone” can comment. Hope this information is helpful if you are wanting more comments from people.
      Bless you in your ministry online.
      Sandra

• Jerry Cartwright says:

Sandra,thank you for your comment. I think I have my comment problem solved. If not let me know. When I tested it everything worked fine. Sorry for taking so long to reply but I had a major surgery on the 22nd and am still recuperating. I just have not felt good enough to blog.

• I’m sorry to hear you had to have surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery. I’ll try to get over there and make a comment very soon, and we’ll try it out from my end.

Jerry, I would like to jump in here to let you know that I’ve added you to our Prayer List on this site and stand with you in faith for your total and complete healing…in Jesus’ name!

• Jerry Cartwright says:

Thank you for your love and prayers.

You’re so welcome sir! Blessings!

I agree with you Jerry and your blog name is so appropriate! Lest we forget that “Jesus is the light of men”, we must seek to be constant reflectors of that “Light”!

15. Amen!! I couldn’t agree more!!

Thank you Brother Sebastian!! My heart aches for the focus of this world.

My husband and I pray for our world and the Lord’s mercy. We have been studying Isaiah in our Bible study. Isaiah tell us when the Lord becomes angered and disappointed in Israel. I am certain we/the world are angering and disappointing Him the same. And for the first time in my life….I literally quiver at the thought of angering God. Honestly…stop and think about that statement. I just don’t want to anger or disappoint My Lord. (Though I am sure I do.) The thought of hurting His heart….

Thank you for stating all so clearly in your writing today!!
    May we all do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God.

Please keep teaching!! May the Lord bless your ministry!!
    And I love Dr. King’s quote!! Thank you again!!