Don’t Miss Your Time

Courtesy of: 123rf.com

Courtesy of: 123rf.com

Everything has its own time, and there is a specific time for every activity under heavenEcclesiastes 3:1 (God’s Word Translation)

Far too often we get lost either observing or participating in someone else’s “time” or vision. This could be the dream of a parent, teacher, employer, child, spouse, or even a pastor or some spiritual leader. These are all ok but do not become so engrossed in helping fulfill another’s dream or vision at the expense of your own purpose and time.

Does this mean to just quit or walk out? Of course not! What it does mean is: we who are believers, should do all things “as unto the Lord”; looking to Him daily for guidance. When we do this, He will let us know what to do and when to do it along the way. The scripture teaches us, “Remember the Lord in everything you do, and he will show you the right way”Proverbs 3:6 (Good News Translation).

Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.Hosea 6:3

It is our responsibility to seek the face of God to know and understand His Will and purpose for our lives. In other words, stay tuned into Him—doing this will help us read the “signs of the times” and see where we fit in and know where to get in. Read Psalms 1…it tells us what happens when a person places His trust in God and allows Him to be their guide. Let’s look at verse three:

They are like trees that grow beside a stream,
that bear fruit at the right time,
and whose leaves do not dry up.
They succeed in everything they do
Psalms 1:3 (GNT)

God has a time and a season for each of us; but we have to turn our focus on Him and not the task. He is the ‘coach’ and He will tell us what position to play and when to get into the game. Don’t miss your time by focusing on something else!

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Devotional, Today's Word, Word of Encouragement
31 comments on “Don’t Miss Your Time
  1. Sammy says:

Good post Sebastian. I agree 100%. We can’t live other peoples visions. We can study and learn and help but there come’s a time and a season when God wants us to grow up, stand up and be counted. It took quite some time but I have finally come to that point in my life.

May God bless you and your calling.

Thank you Sammy! The scriptures teaches us to ‘grow up’ and it is time for us to do that! Any ‘leader’ that is not equipping the people of God to “do the work of ministry”…as described in Ephesians 4…really need to review their Job Description.

May God’s best be yours as well!

2. connordefehr says:

Great post Sebastian,

indeed, if we focus on anything else but God, a branch, it is unfulfilling and gets us further from God; although God certainly intends us to step on branches to get closer to Him, who is at the top of the tree of life.

Absolutely Connor! Everything we encounter should be used as a means to draw us closer to God and not to pull us away from Him. Thank you for taking time to add to this post…I appreciate it!

3. geloruma says:

Good post Sebastian,
    We have an Awesome God.

4. calvinbender says:

Sebastian, I enjoyed your post my friend! But this is what sticks out to me the most:

Don’t miss your time by focusing on something else!

The very last sentence is the most powerful for me, because it is so easy to become distracted by anything. Especially when it comes to the things of the Lord. I like doing this and I like doing that, but it is very easy for me to forget to ask God, “What would you like me to do today or right now Lord?” And I will slip away from putting Jesus first going after my own agenda, when our relationship should come first. Our time should be the focus, because our time was orchestrated from the beginning in heaven before I knew what any distractions were on this earth in the first place. God puts those perspectives back in our life at the right time when we need it the most.
    Thank you and God bless!

5. This really hit home for us Sebastian! Really a powerful message that opened our eyes and reminded us that God has a plan, and to be patient! HAHA! He’ll let us in the game when He feels we’re ready 🙂

6. Kent says:

A good word today, Sebastian. I needed this one this morning!

Mercy good reply above! I love this post Pastor and it is of course right on time as usual,if we’d only stay focused on God and stop trying to run others lives and please them.Wow! God truly can do great things in us and through us when we do things his way,very good word.
    Love you 🙂

8. nopew says:

Your words are like apples of gold on pictures of silver, to quote Proverbs. A great weakness of today’s Body is the passive acceptance of the vision of the leadership or denomination or doctrinal statement or church law or whatever, even when these oppose the Word of God. God needs more team players and fewer spectators. At the same time, without a community vision “the people perish”. But the test is the Bible, the context is prayer (and fasting) and the oil is The Spirit and the wrapping is deep respectful love. Thanks again…

You’re so welcome and thank you for your kind words in response to this post! It is my desire and I believe my call, to take a stand for God and not religion. It is of utmost importance that Christians understand that everything that uses the name of God…is not of God! We must remain faithful to the Spirit of the Word and not just the letter of it. The Bible is a spiritual book and trying to understand it through the feebleness of the flesh can only get us more of the same…FLESH! Thanks again for your input on this…Blessings!

9. Good morning Sebastian, Where does the counselor (myself) go to receive counseling? Hopefully you will be able to add us to your prayer list and answer a godly question I have. I’ll try to be concise.

My husband and I have a deep desire to work for the Lord. We were even ready to give up our beloved pets to go overseas where he’l teach so I’m grateful I passed God’s test. My husband is just finishing up his second theological doctorate and is awaiting their decision. (He teaches adult Sunday education, preaches as a pulpit supplier in the meantime)

He would be ready to leave tomorrow to follow where ever God leads (and I would too if I felt that was what God desired, no problem there – I have a lot of gypsy in my soul, ha) If it is to happen right away, God will lead by miraculous means and I’ll have a peace about that possibility. However, I believe God is a God of order and there are certain life aspects that need resolution (such as major dental care that he receives through his present job and other life issues which will be resolved in July)

How do I ensure that we aren’t rushing God (as Sarah and Abraham did as well as other examples in the Bible) but waiting for that certain Will of God that we so want to follow? He’s currently sending out resumes (without the finished doctorate yet) and believing if the right opportunity comes, he doesn’t want to miss it. I say, have faith and God will provide in His perfect timing, which I don’t think is Right Now because I don’t have a peace about it. In the meantime he is getting discouraged because he believes his age has something to do with all the rejection. As you probably know we are extremely vibrant and young at heart for retirement agers, but they don’t know that! I say wait until July and “God will provide a lamb.”

Thank you my dear friend, I appreciate your counsel and your prayers which I know you give for us. Blessings,

10. Colette says:

Awesome word Sebastian! Personally I have been so focused on “staying in my lane” that I had forgotten that God has many highways. Some roads are two-lane, some are four lane and on some roads He has us passing in the opposite direction. The important thing is that He may “change lanes” and I must be willing to follow His turn signal in order to stay on the right road!

Hi Colette! Great point! We must be flexible in order to follow God. It is interesting how often we can fall into the trap of thinking that God “only works like this.” There is no limitations with Him and whatever way He leads us is the right way and time! Blessings to you!

11. Brenda T. McClendon says:

I shared this with Bill this morning. It is amazing how this message confirmed what we were talking about all weekend–finding out where God wants us to fit in and get in. Thank you and may God add a blessing to reading and hearing of His Word. Peace..

Hi Brenda! You’re so welcome and thank you for the blessing! You hit the nail on the head. It is one thing to identify the what and where, but that is only part of it. We have to “get in” the place He directs us! This was key, when God told Elijah to go by the brook Cherith. Had he gone to any other brook during that famine, he would have died! But because he went where God sent him…he was sustained. Blessings to you both!

12. It’s easy to get caught up in other people’s vision only to look back and see we’ve made very little effort in pursuing our own visions. But as you said the only way to know if it time to move or stay still is my keeping in step with the keeper of our time.

Thank you for your response to this post! We absolutely must stay in contact with our Creator by being led of the Spirit to know the when, the where, and the how for our lives. Blessings!

13. Freedomborn says:

How very True Sebastian, we are to seek the Lord with all our being and not Trust in our own understanding, and yes I believe what God tells us in His word 2Timothy2:20-21 that we are to be prepared for good works and that we are also to help others be too. Our Love for others should be like God’s Love or we will be selfish and self seeking and others will have to fit into our fleshy agenda and boundaries. God’s Love is Sacrificial and we are to comfort others as we have been comforted and this was how I first came in contact with you Sebastian, I was in great need of comfort and you helped me carry my burden and I felt you tears of compassion in my heart, I will always be thankful, Galatians 6:2 – Romans 12:15 what we do for others we are doing for Jesus.

Philippians 2:2-4 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through strife or vain glory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Hebrews 10 24-25 And let us consider one another in order to stir up Love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

1 Corinthians 14: 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.

How wonderful Sebastian that God will keep us strong to the end, yes our time has come… 1Corinthians1:8-10

Christian Love Always – from both of us – Anne.

Hi Anne! Thank you for responding to this post! Just as we have the Lord, Who will never leave or forsake us…we also should be motivated by love to show love to one another continuously! Thank you for the love you do show the Body of Christ. I for one have felt it and do appreciate it deeply! Blessings to you both!