Remember Your Past Victories

VictoryDavid said moreover, The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine.1 Sam 17:37 (KJV)

Recently, I was speaking with someone who, like many people today, is experiencing some tough times in their financial lives. While we spoke I was reminded of the scripture above and how easy it is to forget the last time we faced what seemed to be insurmountable odds. Because I know him personally, I tried to remind him that God has brought him through tough times before.

Have you ever thought you were at the end of your rope and somehow you made it through? How about on more than one occasion? Have you ever been between the proverbial “rock and a hard place?” I’m speaking about having bills to pay and no money to pay them; or facing a report from the doctor that have them shaking their head.

It is these types of situations that make you forget anything that is good in your life. But it is these very circumstances that should remind you that all is not lost because you have faced tough times before and survived. Someone once said: “Tough times don’t last, tough people do.” I do not disagree but I do want to state that in the Kingdom of God, it is not just “toughness” that matters but “trustness” that do. I know that word probably didn’t exist before now but I’m trying to make a point…God is there, regardless of the circumstances, to see you through!

David faced an enemy that was big and powerful, but he looked back over his life and saw the delivering power of an Almighty, unfailing God. His tough times included facing lions and bears but each time God was with him and saw him through to victory. Do not measure yourself or your resources against your circumstance. Rather, measure your circumstances against your God Who cannot fail!

In your past, no doubt, you may have faced things that are tougher than what you are facing now—maybe not—but be assured of this one thing…if you made it through that difficulty, you will make it through this one. This will, one day, be another victory you can look back on and gain encouragement for the future. Don’t quit and don’t ever give up because nothing is impossible if you only believe!

As I reflect upon the conversation with my friend, I could hear encouragement rising up in him and what started out as a depressing encounter turned into time of remembrance of past victories.

David remembered how God had brought him through in the past and used that for encouragement and a faith-builder to face the giant; and you know what happened to him! So my friends, when facing your giants, recall a previous victory and run to the battle.

CONFESS THIS: My God has brought me through other things and He will bring me through this!

Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Believing, Devotional, Word of Encouragement
18 comments on “Remember Your Past Victories
  1. Awesome word! I can definitely relate. Thanks for sharing,

LaTrice

2. Melissmor says:

That’s just the thing, when we’re going through a trying situation, Satan just enjoys drumming the toughness of the challenging situation into us, making us believe it is harder than it actually is, but God, oh that Sweet God of ours, He takes charge of the situation and He holds our hands, walks us straight out of it, teaches us valuable lessons, heals us, makes us tougher than nails and makes us new again, then as time goes by, we look back at the situation, we laugh at it, we are shocked at how we got over it with our loving God, we are amazed at the wonder of this HUGE God that we serve because indeed, nothing is TOO big for Him.

Amazing Grace – how sweet the sound of our Heavenly Father!

3. Sebastian, I would love to share your powerful encouragement. Would you mind if reblogged this? I can’t tell you how much this encouraged me tonight! God knew I needed to hear this. Thank you for writing it.

4. Sebastian, Yes I remember, there are so many battles our Lord Has Won. Sometimes when things get tough I ask the Lord if He remembers when a battle needed to be fought and how He came through with the victory. In this I find peace and like the old Hymn says “All is Well With My Soul” Amen. Sometimes, a lot of times prayer is just listening to His Voice. James

You are right James! That’s when we get it right! If listening is key to communication with one another as humans; how much more is there benefit to listening to our Father! Love you brother!

5. You are so inspring when I read, contemplate and take in those wonderful Biblical truths you write! Your words never fail to encourage me as my husband and I pray for patience as we’re waiting upon the Lord for direction.

There is nothing impossible with God and just like Abraham, we face our older years, and we too want to be useful in fulltime Christian service and pray that’s where He’s leading.I’ve never found any place in the Bible where God says no to someone who is willing to serve, have you? He’s a God of order and that’s what I’m advising my husband to do, finish his second doctorate and then go from there. Thank you for your continuing prayers for His will to be done.

You’re welcome Ellie and thank you for your kind and encouraging words…I so appreciate them! I definitely will be in prayer for you and your husband’s leading in the path God has for you. May His best continue to be yours! –Sebastian

6. Tammy Link says:

God always brings the right words at the right time. Thanks! Loved this : )

7. fgassette says:

I love this scripture. It was also a welcome reminder when I faced hard times. God’s Word is a present help in times of need. Thanks for sharing.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

You are welcome! He wants you to know that He has brought you through those things you thought you would hardly make it through and will always be there for you…just trust Him!

8. admin says:

Our emphasis must be on God our deliverer, not our circumstances. It is God who carries us when we are tired and discouraged. He is the one that causes us to make it through what we thought would bury us. Praise his name, Delverer!

Yes, He is THE DELIVERER! He has already made a way before we know we needed it! We have to trust Him and believe the way is already made. Thank you for that wonderful point! Blessings!

9. Thank you for your comments. Excellent!!

you might want to read my previous article on why would we want to hurt 1 another ?

I use the same passage in I Samuel 6 to set up verss 6.

God Bless your work. Do you have a twitter account I could follow?

You’re welcome and hello Jim! Thank you for checking in and commenting…I appreciate that. I have checked out your blog and a couple of articles…I appreciate your insight.

I just followed you on Twitter and look forward to your tweets. You can follow me @faith1stmin. Blessings to you! –Sebastian