A Word about Grieving

Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows…Isaiah 53:4 (KJV)

Let me start this off by again saying thank you for your prayers and encouragement during this difficult time for my family after the loss of my wife’s father…we truly appreciate it!

During this time there has been a lot to think about and reflect upon.

As Christians, when we face the obvious difficulty of losing a loved one there are often a lot of questions with few answers. Also, there is the uncertainty of how to process it all. How close we were to the deceased will often be the determining factor of the weight of grief we experience. But it does not have to stop there…we have help.

Although, we are often told that ‘grief is a process’…the scripture above tells us that we have help and we are not alone during these times. Jesus, who is our advocate, also paid the price for everything we would face on this earth—including loss through death. His sacrifice on the cross was for much more than our sins, it was for our grief as well. That is not to say that we will not experience pain and difficult times when we lose someone close to us; but because of Jesus, we don’t have to carry that load on our own.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.—Romans 1:16 (KJV)

As Christians, our faith in Christ means a lot; so do not underestimate its meaning or His power. Paul exclaims that the Gospel is “the power of God” to you—if you believe it. What does this mean to someone who is grieving? It means that they can call on and trust in the finished work of our Lord to carry the load for us.

We may have to exercise our faith in this promise daily or even hourly, but it is there and it will do what it is meant to do—bring God’s salvation (deliverance) into our lives when we need it. It is no mystery; however, it is a matter of faith!

The spirit of grief is designed to chain us to the pain we are experiencing and to keep us from moving forward—which is what God intends for us to do! Just as He did not intend for us to hold on to or forever be chained to sin or sickness, He does not intend for us to hold onto grief either. Also, I believe, to refuse to allow God to lift that burden from us is an act of disbelief and thereby sin…for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. Romans 14:23 (KJV)

Therefore, my friend, allow the healing, comforting, power of God to embrace you in the time of loss…thereby lessening the impact of grief and even removing it from you! Honor God and the memory of your loved one by not continuing to suffer the pain of grief…receive the liberating gift of God’s love for us by casting our burdens and griefs upon the Lord–He cares for us.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Current Events, Devotional, Today's Word, Word of Encouragement, Word of Faith
18 comments on “A Word about Grieving
  1. […] A Word about Grieving (faith1stministries.com) […]

2. PASTOR DAVIS/MASTER TEACHER says:

Pastor my prayers are with you and your family that God will provide all of you with Spiritual Healing that will fill your soul with joy, peace and strength to endure the race that is set before you. I personally encourage you to be strong and stay focus, keeping your eye on the prize that are in front of you.

3. cindyhfrench says:

Thank you Pastor Sebastian for visiting my blog and in following it. I am glad you found me even though I know not how, but now I have found you. Too. Atlanta is my home town. Even tho, I live in Tampa Fl now-we go back often as our daughters are there.
    Please let me know if there is anything I should pray for you for.

Hi Cindy! It’s my pleasure to be a part of your blogging community! I look forward to being inspired by your blog and toward the interaction between us here. May the Lord’s Blessing be upon you and your family! –Sebastian

• CindyFrench says:

oh and I meant to leave a word about GriefShare a faith based ministry that is simply awesome . I found out about it because I lost my parents almost 4 years ago this next Nov 5 and Dec 14th. I am the oldest of 6 and it was and is very hard doing without them. But I know they just basking in the Savior’s love and grace! My Daddy didn’t get grace very well. He was told by his mother everyday from as long as he could remember until she died -and I heard her-I don’t love you and I never wanted you. I can not even begin to imagine what that would do to a child’s pysche. It is amazing to me that God protected him from becoming a serial killer or something dreadful. Instead he became a nuclear physicist-I didn’t get any brain cells from him so don’t be expecting anything brainiac thoughts or words comining from me on my blog. Anyway what I wanted to say is if you type in GriefShare in Google or whatever and then your zipcode, it will bring up where meetings are held wherever that person lives and some info about the meetings. Time/date/location/administrator name and number usually. They have have 13 week sessions. But each module is independent of the others, so one can start at any time. Death does not cooperate by having the decency to happen a week or a month or more before sessions start. I was a co-leader for 2 1/2years until my doctor made me stop all my curricular activities this year. I had just been diagnosed with a severe immunity disorder and if I kept going like I was going, I was going to wind up dead somehow someway. I catch anything I am exposed to. I don’t make ANY antibodies. so even though I’ve already had the kid’s diseases, I could get them all again. And of course, every cold, respiratory infection, pinkeye or just eye infection, bacteria infection anywhere, fungus infection anywhere loves to come and glom onto and into me. I have had them all. I just got rid of a bacterial infection that I had had for 6 months in my colon-awful, icky-was on every antibiotic! nothing helped until the Lord told me I had to be off of the Remecaid and methotrexate I take for my Rheumatoid Arthritis for me to heal. Oh my goodness I hope you read my posts on that and what He did for me in confirmations after He told me what to do-and I did it. He did indeed take care of my pain. Every time that I started to hurt a little here or there I would say Lord, I hurting in my hip, or my feet or my hands. And immediately it would stop. The treatment was done 3 weeks ago and I had a follow up test to see if it worked last wk. I just got word yesterday that I am healed of the bacteria! I intended to blog about it last night, but I felt so bad I had to go to bed. I am fighting bronchitis. Today, I gave up and called the doc for some meds cause I knew I would wind up in the hospital over the wkend otherwise and I really don’t want to do that. So now I have the prednisone and the antibiotic and the pill to sleep. because when I am on prednisone, I can’t slow my body down. I am like the energizer bunny.
        one more time back to GriefShare. Please check it out for yourself so that you can tell others about the wonderful ministry that it is. If friends hadn’t told me, I don’t know when I might have finally gotten things together. I miss them terribly. Would I bring them back? NO WAY! But being an orphan is no fun as I remind my Holy Fathery regularly-as He promised to by my Dad until the day He brings me home.

Hi Cindy, thank you for your response and welcome to our community! I appreciate your sentiment and recommendation…I will check it out. Blessings to you and yours! –Sebastian

Praise God Pastor,so good to have you back and just like God with a very encouraging message.We surely can never out do God,he is so very good to us and He is that ever present help He promised to be.
    Love you 😀

5. Pam M. says:

I am sorry to hear of your mother-in-law’s passing. I will be praying for you and your family as you grieve but with the hope of Christ in the midst of the sorrow. He will turn sorrow into joy.

6. Thank you for your encouragement Sebastian. You remind me of the apostle Paul’s comment in 2 Corinthians 1 verses 3-4, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
    That you are at this time to write this encouragement is proof of Paul’s words. Thank you for sharing.

7. I praise God for His Power and Love He has placed upon you and your family and in all of you in this time of grief. Out of this His Glory has come through again into the life’s of His children showing a lost world His Love. Amen. James