“ Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” —John 14:27 (KJV)
How do you make it when struggle seems to be the order of the day? The bible gives us an answer to this question; give it all over to Jesus! We cannot make it in this world—although we try—without a true, life-changing relationship with the Lord!
Many, if not all, of us have heard the Hebrew word Shalom used at one time or another. This word signifies peace. Shalom suggests being whole, full, complete, not fragmented, and made perfect.
Jesus, in the above verse, tells us that there is at least two types of peace…His and worldly. Worldly peace is based upon false images and assumptions. The world would have us believe that:
- defeating our perceived enemies through war will give us peace;
- money would give us happiness and that will give us peace;
- having the right education, job, or career will give us peace;
- having the perfect house, on the perfect street, and driving the perfect car will give us peace;
- or having the perfect body image, (shape/size, eyes, hair, nose, etc., etc.,), will give us peace.
But none of these things have the capability of giving anyone true peace! We see the world’s picture of peace and perfection being shattered all around us every day.
- countries enter into wars that seemingly will never end;
- many people with money are not happy, and because of a lack of peace, some are even killing themselves;
- often, education or training will not guarantee a satisfying and fulfilling career;
- the perfect house in the right neighborhood and the perfect car, can be vandalized, damaged, or lost because it has become too expensive to own;
- finally, our body image has to be determined from within and not without because the scriptures tells us that we are “fearfully and wonderfully made.”
And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. —Colossians 3:15 (New Living Translation)
God has called us to “live in peace,” not just an absence from conflict but living a life of peace or Shalom as described earlier: being whole, full, complete, not fragmented, and made perfect. God’s peace will:
- save the unsaved;
- restore relationships;
- heal the sick and wounded;
- bring prosperity or pay your bills;
- raise self-esteem;
- make enemies into friends;
- and cast out fear and worry.
When we are living a life of peace, the life that Jesus said He gives us, we can expect to receive the goodness of God in every aspect of our lives. Any area of our lives that is fragmented, not whole, incomplete, broken, and need to be put back together; we can turn to the Lord to receive the peace that only He can give.
In short, with the peace of God ruling in our hearts, we don’t have to be troubled or afraid because Jesus tells us:
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.—John 16:33 (KJV)
My friend, do not be troubled, or full of anxiety…we are overcomers! Jesus lives and has given us the victory! Walk in peace; rest in peace; let peace rule in your heart and life…it belongs to everyone that serves the Lord! This is the will of God for us!
“6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” —Philippians 4:6-7 (New Living Translation)
©2012 Faith1st Ministries
- How to Have Perfect Peace (jesuscarriesme.com)
- God’s Peace (genesisone.wordpress.com)
- Peace and Reconciliation: Meditation on Romans 5:1-11 (gracesatisfies.wordpress.com)
- The Peace of God (gospelapprentice.com)
- Push through Discouragement!!! Keep Going!!! (impactingdreams.wordpress.com)
- Peace, O Sweet Peace (shilohtemplecogic.wordpress.com)
- Affirmations of God’s Word God love us: (1woman2women.wordpress.com)
- The Impossibility of Secular Peace (cobb.typepad.com)
- True Peace with God: Philippians 4:6-9 (sidewalkschalk.com)
- Don’t be anxious! (pearlsofdestiny.wordpress.com)
- The reason why God’s peace passes all human understanding (ptl2010.com)
- Real True Peace (look not externally) (thepauls.wordpress.com)