The Words We Speak

This is a re-blog of a subject that I believe is of supreme importance to everyone in general and Believers in particular.

“Death and life are in the power of the tongue:” (Proverbs 18:21 – KJV)

Do you know that speaking negative words will have a negative effect on you? The words we speak will have an impact on us—either positively or negatively. Have you ever caught yourself saying that you were “dumb” or “stupid”? Now you may say that those words are innocent and you don’t mean anything by it—I beg to differ.

The Bible tells us that we will be responsible for every “idle word” that we speak (Matthew 12:36 – KJV). An idle word is one that is lazy, inoperative, or non-working. In other words we are to put our words to good use because we will be responsible one way or another. Therefore, why spend time speaking things that we do not mean when, in the same time we can speak things that will benefit us, our families, communities, or even our world?

This is important to note because it is time for us to change our words. Instead of telling everyone who will listen, just how sick we are. We can begin to speak the truth of the Word of God concerning our condition and watch that become our reality—the Bible is clear that God wants us well.

Not only where sickness is concerned, but how often have we spoken that our loved ones will never amount to anything. I understand that this is often spoken out of frustration, but is that what we really want to come to pass? Surely, things may seem to be headed in that direction, but that’s where we use the words of our mouths to make a spiritual detour and begin to say something good and worthwhile (blessings), instead of negative stuff (cursing).

In other words, if you do not like what you are seeing in your life—change what you are saying. Now, you may argue that it is too hard; and I will agree that it may be, but it is definitely worth the effort. When we begin to speak and expect the good we want to come to pass, instead of the bad we are seeing every day, slowly we will begin to see and experience the changes that we believe for.

“…Abraham believed in the God who brings the dead back to life and who creates new things out of nothing” (Romans 4:17 – NLT)

If we believe God then our words should line up with what we believe about God. We say that God has created everything and can do anything…until we run into something that seems impossible to us. When that happens, often we then place the same limitation on God. How you say? Whenever we say, ‘this thing will never work,’ or ‘I’ll never get out of this,’ and ‘things never work out for me.’

These types of phrases can be devastating to anyone—especially Christians. What are we saying, when we use our words to confirm the difficulty of a situation instead of the possibilities of God’s deliverance! Nothing is impossible with God (Luke 18:27), regardless of what it may look like to us. Therefore, we should be speaking the good we expect to come to pass.

Our responsibility is to believe God—who alone is life—and watch things turn around!

Look…Christians are called believers for a reason. We believe in a God who cannot fail! So let’s practice getting our speaking in line with our believing and see our lives, our experiences, and even our world change!

Remember to have faith first…

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in Devotional
35 comments on “The Words We Speak
  1. Greetings, I’m Kenton and I’m definitely grateful that I
    found faith1stministries.com. I had a little question that I’d
    like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to find out how
    you focus yourself and empty your mind before
    writing. I have had challenges clearing my mind in order to get my ideas
    out. I definitively do enjoy writing, but it just
    seems like the first ten to fifteen mins are lost simply juust trying to determine how to start.
    Any ideas or hints?

2. I always enjoy reading your blog! Such an encouraging word…..

3. […] The Words We Speak (faith1stministries.com) […]

4. Lyn Leahz says:

Amen, Sebastian…Amen…

5. Lyn Leahz says:

And I just realized I forgot to post the link because I was too busy yammering http://lynleahz.com/2012/06/10/worship-jesusmoses-style/

6. Lyn Leahz says:

Hey there Sebastian..I think you’ll really like this post I made tonight. The Lord kind of did His thing through me..and yes, it really happened. http://lynleahz.com/2012/07/03/father-forgive-me/

7. Lyn Leahz says:

I wholeheartedly believe this! What an amazingly enlightening article, and so true! I believe that things happen in the spiritual realms first, before they happen in the physical. “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
    It’s a lot to say..the best way to say it is to post the link to where I really, really said it! When you have time, read my spiritual warfare posts, part I and part II.
    http://lynleahz.com/2012/05/22/spiritual-warfare-part-iithe-elijah-experiment/ And if you have time, you absolutely MUST watch the video at the bottom of Part II after you read Part II! You talk about setting you on fire for God and empowering you in the Holy Spirit…after reading the articles and then watching the video, you’ll be on fire like never before! Awesome video!

Thank you for sharing this with me…I look forward to diving into it very soon! Thank you again!

• Lyn Leahz says:

I posted a video yesterday as well on Ephesians 6:10-20 from a Messianic Jewish perspective. It was pretty interesting, to say the least.

Wow! That is about all I can say to both posts and videos. You were exactly right about the second video! Thank you for sharing and God bless you for it!

• Lyn Leahz says:

Did you see this video…you’ll really go wow! Very bottom here on this page, and there’s some music you might like too by a Messianic Jewish Psalmist above this one…From the Rising of the Sun does something for me, I don’t know what it is. But my son and i listened to it on our iPod’s when we took a walk, and we were dancing and praising God down the busy street and we didn’t care. Anyhow, those are the music videos above the Eric Ludy video I am talking about, which is all the way to the bottom. I don’t know what it was, but this video empowered me in Christ and brought tears to my eyes. The Lord had confirmed something He had shown me regarding loving my enemies with this video…the whole part with the guy in bondage in chains and how he cries out for help….the Lord showed me that people in bondage are crying out for help in their spirit, but they are in serious bondage, being tormented inside by the wicked spirit(s) who control/oppress them.

Yes, I did see all the videos. The worship videos are new to me but I am open to the possibilities available…knowing that I do not know all there is to worship in all forms…and the one on the Gospel can really “take” you there! Thank you for sharing and God bless!

• Lyn Leahz says:

You’re welcome. It was new to me too..but he models himself after King David. He’s Messianic Jew, so what you see here is how the Jesus is the Messiah believing Jews worship..which is how David worshiped (he used to come home from battle dancing and singing and shouting in the streets). I can feel the Holy Spirit in this music so much…and like I said, it was new to me…very new. Some people do not like it; but for some reason, I love it! 😉 Thanks so much Sebastian and God bless you!

You’re welcome sis! I am all for the possibilities of worship! I believe our worship can be as varied and diverse as we are…the only requirement is that we worship in “Spirit and in Truth!” Blessings to you!

8. isaiah43123 says:

Yes, we must have consistency in our beliefs, words, and actions. Thanks for the reminder.
    Keep the Faith!

You’re welcome! You are right in using the word consistency because in it lies the pressure necessary to bring about the changes that we both need and desire! Thanks and God bless!

9. I love this. Good Word and great advice. I beleive that this artcle may be a good companion to one of my earlier artciles entitled, “The Tongue Is Mightier Than The Sword” where I talk about the power of the tongue to heal or injure. Although it speaks about the Power Of Words from another diminsion or perspective, I feel that these two are not dissimilar. Take a look and tell what you think. [http://owprince.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/todays-sabbath-message-for-may-5-2012-the-tongue-is-mightier-than-the-sword/ ]

Thanks for a great Word that I practice daily. That is why regardless of what I am suffering, I like to say that I am “Looking Up!”

owp.

You are welcome Bishop! Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this post! I have read your post and enjoyed it greatly… (My comment) Thank you for such clarity on this subject! This is truly sound teaching that the Body of Christ need…especially today! May God continue to bless your work! –Sebastian

10. rabattye says:

Reblogged this on Daily Bread Devotions and commented:
    This is such an important subject…the words we speak are so powerful, have a read, and start speaking blessing! 🙂

11. rabattye says:

That’s awesome Sebastion! I’m filled with faith for my future and am speaking it out, no more idle words for me! 🙂

Thank you! We all have the ability and responsibility to “frame our world” with our words! Some may take issue with this stance but I believe the scriptures are clear about the power we have with the words we speak! God bless you!

• Lyn Leahz says:

I’m sorry, I know this has nothing to do with this post..but how do you get the pics in the sidebar? I’ve looked on widgets and can’t seem to figure it out. I’m fairly new to blogging, so all of the ‘extra’ stuff is still something I’m trying to figure out. Thanks so much! BTW, please feel free to delete this post after you see it since it really doesn’t go here with the topic! Thanks, and God bless! Also, am I supposed to go ahead and post that now, as well as nominate ten people, or does it get narrowed down to one person, and then that individual person does it? I’m so sorry, like I said, I’m fairly new to the whole blogging stuff! God bless you!

Lyn, I’m working on an answer for you because I had to get help on mine…I’ll get back with you. Also, not to worry, I’m sure you will be the one others ask for blogging advise in no time! God bless.

12. I have nominated you for the Reader Appreciation Award. Place picture on your site. Select six others to award.

Thanks!

13. Recently published book by Joel Osteen’s daddy, John, is a wonderful book to carry along side our Bible and this post! “Your Words Hold a Miracle” is a quick and powerful read after finishing this super work, Sebastian!

Hello and thank you for the encouraging words! I am pretty familiar with brother John’s ministry but not this book. Thank you for recommending it to me, I appreciate it! God bless you and your ministry!