Forgetting the Past…Trusting God for the Future 2

This is a continuation of the previous post by the same name. If you have not read it, please click this link to read it first.

There are primarily two things that will keep us from moving forward, fear and pride:

Fear is a tool that the enemy uses against everyone to keep us from trusting God and ourselves. Fear, when allowed to have place in our lives, can be as powerful as faith! It is counter-productive and serves no good purpose for you or I. The Bible teaches: “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”—2 Timothy 1:7. Fear is a spirit, not one that God wants you to live with, but rather live without! Say no to fear!

Confess this: I am a person of faith, not fear! My God has given me the spirit of power, love and a sound mind.

Likewise, pride is a tool that is used against us to make us feel more important than we are, and thereby failing to submit ourselves unto the love and mercy of God. The Bible is full of examples of people who allowed the spirit of pride to take them over, thereby leading them down a road of selfishness, self-absorption and self-deception. Pride says it is all about me, look at what I have accomplished, and I don’t need anyone! The scriptures call such a person a fool! My friend, walk away from and denounce all elements of pride in your life—it is deadly. The Bible teaches: “Pride leads to destruction, and arrogance to downfall.—Proverbs 16:18 (Good News Translation)

Confess this: I am a believer in God! Therefore, I don’t need pride because Jesus came to give me abundant life and I receive that abundant life now!

The Apostle Paul spoke on this when he wrote to the church at Philippi. Paul knew what dangers lay ahead for anyone who trusted in their own ability more than God and he made a conscious decision to forget all things (good and bad), in order to look ahead to the future God had for him! I’m sure it was not an easy decision to make but necessary nonetheless. Paul put it like this:

(13) No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, (14) I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.—Philippians 3:13-14 (New Living Translation)

I also, like the way the Message Translation puts it: “Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.

We all need God! From the homeless person, to the street sweeper, to the corporate captain, to the leader of a nation—we all need God!

My friend, let’s not spend our time looking back on things that will hold us back; nor let us allow fear and pride to tangle us in a web that can lead to the destruction of our lives; but let’s set our sights on the things that God has for us and has called us to do! Let us move forward with Faith in a God who cannot and will not fail us! For He has promised:

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.“–Jeremiah 29:11 (KJV)

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Devotional, Word of Encouragement
28 comments on “Forgetting the Past…Trusting God for the Future 2
  1. […] Forgetting the Past…Trusting God for the Future 2 (faith1stministries.com) […]

2. This is just what we needed! Pray for God to give us clear directions. Thanks! ******your sister in Christ.

3. […] Forgetting the Past…Trusting God for the Future 2 (faith1stministries.com) Share this:MoreLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted on 06/25/2012, in accepting, change, courage, faith, hope, inspirational, life, past, today and tagged future. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment […]

4. Noel Williams (prhayz) www.prhayz.com says:

No matter what a man’s past may have been, his future is spotless if he chose Jesus.

5. coville123 says:

You have been nominated for one lovely blog award and the versatile blog award by http://savedollarblog.wordpress.com Love your blog keep up the great content.

Hello, thank you for nominating faith1stministries for the One Lovely Blog Award! I appreciate it and am honored by it and will post it very soon. May God’s best be yours! –Sebastian

6. […] Forgetting the Past…Trusting God for the Future 2 (faith1stministries.com) […]

7. isaiah43123 says:

Good morning Sebastain. While catching up on my blog reading (part of my devotional time) , I was reminded of another weapon in Satan’s toolbox, forgetfullness. In our walk of faith, we often forget about God’s power, what the goal is and the neccessary steps to reach that goal.
    Keep the Faith!

8. ansuyo says:

Awesome!!!!!! Been hearing a lot along these lines lately 🙂

9. Freedomborn says:

Hi again Sebastion, when I visit you on your Blog, I enjoy our conversation and by your responses I always feel wanted and needed and I like feeling this way and so does God. He asks us to Love Him with all our being, yes because we need to but also He delights in us doing so and not because He has fleshy pride and we also know from Scripture He feels hurt when His Children reject Him and ignor Him or shut Him out. Jesus was known as a man of sorrows and aquinted with grief and yet He forgave us not because He had to but because He Loved us greatly. God is compassionate and Loving and He understands when we are hurt and feeling unwanted and He does not condem us, He comforts us, even if others don’t, fleshy man does not really know how to give and receive real Love.

Isaiah 43:1-3 – Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.”

We were created with feelings, even tears are a gift. a safty valve, we need to feel wanted and Loved and if we are not it is natural to feel hurt and lost and to repress these feelings is dangerous and to think we shoudn’t feel them because their wrong is foolish they are not evil they are natural but we need to resolve them and only a foundation based in God’s Truth that He will work all things out for good because we Love and Trust Him will keep us feeling secure in Him and to have Hope for a better today and tomorrow.

Thank you my Brother Sebastion for drying my tears by showing you cared.

Christian Love Anne.

Hi Anne! I am here because of precious people like you and Ron! I thank God everyday for everyone that this blog reaches…many of whom I may never here from. But for everyone that do respond, I appreciate the interactions and words of wisdom and experience that is expressed.

You have such valuable wisdom and the heart to share it. Thank you both so much for including me in your walk, I appreciate it!

Sebastian

10. Hey, Sebastian. I liked the series. God used it to remind me to let go and go on. Thanks.

Two things come to heart. God is showing me that it is not just the negative we look back to and are captured by. We can also look back to the excellent of the past, and fearing that nothing as good will ever be again, we wind up snared in that good past to the neglect of all the possibility of God.

Also I think of a teacher who taught that our struggles of rejection and insecurity, our hurt feelings and feelings of being overlooked, also are truly based in pride. We want to be noticed and thought of highly and when we don’t get it for whatever reason, we fall to self-preoccupied depression, rejection, hurt and anger.

Thanks again. I enjoy reading your posts and share them with friends. BLESSings, Darlene

11. Freedomborn says:

Hi Sebastian, a very good message giving assurance and Hope, we are as you shared and Paul said, to put behind us our childish thinking and actions and to aim to be perfected and as Ron says, although we can learn from our past and not make the same mistakes again, this does not mean we let guilt cause us to walk in defeat, we have been forgiven if we have repented from the heart and our Testimonies and new life can give others Hope, God forgives and chooses to forget the evil we have done but we remember why He has and give thanks always.

Paul shared before He died that He had been perfected, he had kept the Faith, he had been Born again and not sinned 1John3:9 and so he would receive the crown of Righteousness 2Timothy 4:7-9 and we too must aim for this by putting our flesh to death. Romans 8:12-15 -Colossians 3:1-17

We know there are two differant types of Pride mentioned in the Scriptures, worldly ot fleshy pride 1John 2:15- 17-Mark 7:22 -2Corinthians 5:12 and Godly Pride, Galatians 6:4- Romans 11:13b – 2Corinthians 8:24 – 2Corinthians 5:11-12 let’s not be deceived but instead rejoice in all of God’s Blessings and gifts, including His wisdom, reasoning, Logic and knowledge and not listen to those who tell us we are arrogant or full of Pride and boastful when we share from our heart and lead by the Spirit, sadly if they do this is a reflection of themselves and shows their fleshy pride and jealously. We are indeed to share God’s Truth and correct error but not with man’s understanding or his fleshy agenda and also in the roles God has given us as Men and Woman, Men are to be in Leadership and as woman we are under their Authority and are their Helpmates as empowered and lead by The Holy Spirit.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne.

12. […] Forgetting the Past…Trusting God for the Future 2 (faith1stministries.com) […]

13. admin says:

Thanks for your post. Fear and pride are definitely two spirits that are common in trying to snare believers every day. Enjoyed your insights.

Wonderful Sebastian,those 2 spirits come after us everyday! The devil is very cunning as God’s word says,and we must know the word in order to deal with evil spirits that come to distract,destroy and steal our faith. “Hallelujah”!! God has given us an excellent helper the Holy Spirit has all power and he lives in us to help us,and I am so happy about that. Keep up the good work we need this good teaching for sure.
    Love you brother 😀