Occupy What???

And he called his ten servants, and delivered to them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.St. Luke 19:13 (KJV)

Many seem to be in the occupy state of mind these days. There are Occupy movements going on in many places across the globe. But I wonder what a Christian Occupy Movement would be…

Would it be…?

• Protesting the seeming attack on Christian Beliefs,
  • Attempt to force the passage of laws that uphold Christian principles,
  • Forcing the stoppage of using foul language in public and the workplace,
  • Cleaning up the nudity that we see constantly in the media,
  • Etc., etc., etc.

While all of these have merit, none of these, I believe, will have the effect that Christians occupying themselves would have! Here is what I mean:

One dictionary definition of occupy is: to take possession and control of (a place), as by military invasion.

While there are many variations and some expansions to this definition, this is the one that I will be focusing on during this writing.

The scriptures are full of examples of how Christians should take control of their lives and force the ungodly forces to give up and flee. Through Christ, we have the power to occupy our own lives. You may say that we already have control…right? I would argue that many have either given control over or refused to exercise the control they had already!

The curse that came on all mankind at the fall of Adam is still very real and very active today. What is the curse, you may ask? The curse is the force that brings those things that a loving God did not intend to be in the lives of His children. These things include but are not limited to: sickness, disease, poverty, wayward children, broken homes, failed marriages, and so on.

For example, to occupy in the area of your marriage is to take a stand that the devil will not have your marriage. How? By researching the scriptures to see what God intended your marriage to be and believe God for it to be that way. You show your faith/belief not by wishing that it will happen but by declaring what God said will be your experience and refusing to believe anything else.

In any area, you have to take the attitude, “I am not moved by what I see, hear or feel…I am moved only by what I believe!” Why? Because Satan will use fear and the circumstances of your life to take your eyes off of the promise of the Word…thereby causing you to believe his report instead of God’s. Fear is of the devil and submission to it will create death in your life and in you; “…God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (II Timothy 1:7).

You show your belief by what you say and practice consistently. You will only say and do the things God gives you—by revelation—if you spend time in the word regarding those things. For example, if you needed eggs and went to the store and bought milk that would not do you any good because you needed eggs. If you need help in your marriage, studying healing will not do you any good…and vice versa! Every seed reproduces after its own kind. In other words, if you were to plant tomato seed—do not expect to see squash or cucumbers.

The powerful word of God is full of seed that covers every aspect of your life…but don’t expect it to just jump into action. You and I have to plant it into the soil of our heart! We do this through the faithful hearing, reading, and confessing of the Word daily. The scriptures teach that when we do this we will “observe to do all that is written therein:” and this following of the Word will bring prosperity and success (Joshua 1:8). Proverbs also teaches that when we make the Word a priority in our lives it will, “…bring life to those who find them and healing to their whole body.”—Proverbs 4:22 (New Living Translation)

Therefore, when the subject of occupy this or that arises, please remember that the greatest thing a Christian can occupy is themselves.

Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.”—Hebrews 2:1 (KJV)

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Current Events, Devotional, Faith, Healing, Word of Faith
28 comments on “Occupy What???
  1. ron says:

Hi Sebastian love your work, planting seeds should be so easy ? Why do we make it so hard?
    blessings
    Ron

Hello Ron! I appreciate the contribution you and Anne are making to the body! I believe we make it hard because we don’t understand the power of a seed. Jesus spoke to people where they were and He has given us the tools that has the most potential…planting seeds is one! Blessings to you my friend! — Sebastian

2. isaiah43123 says:

First, I want to thank you for deciding to tag along with My Hmmm Collection.

Whether or not we agree with reasons for the occupy movement, we have to admire the people for their passion and persistence in their beliefs. I wonder, are we believers in Jesus Christ as passionate in our beliefs and willing to stand firm when the time arises? And, the time is…

Hello and you’re welcome! Also, I want to thank you for taking the time out to visit Faith1st.

Although I may not have been as clear as I thought, I in no way was making a statement as to the veracity of the Occupy Movement…I was only using it as an example to make my point.

I admire anyone that is willing to stand for what they believe. My point is that before Christians can be really effective on the outside, we have some work to do on the inside. Thank you for your input to this discussion, I really appreciate your checking in!

Blessings to you and yours!

Sebastian

3. We need to think properly, which only comes from the truth found in God’s Word. I love the way you took the occupy movement and turned that into something that has meaning. God Bless.

Hello Derek…welcome to Faith1st! Thank you for your response to this post. I am pleased that this blog has reached you and it is my prayer that you will continue to check in. Thank you again and blessings to you and yours!

4. 237blessed says:

Congratulations, your blog has been nominated for The King of Kings Friendship Award. See my blog at http://237blessed.wordpress.com/ for further details.
    🙂 I believed you were more than deserving of this blessing. Consider it a token of support and encouragement from another pilgrim upon the Way of Holiness. Walk in blessing, walk in Faith, walk in the Love of our Lord and Father

Hello and thank you for the nomination for The King of Kings Friendship Award. I am extremely humbled and blessed for this nomination. I receive it and will honor it! Thank you again and blessings to you and yours!

5. Caddo Veil says:

As it is almost a year since God delivered me from depression, I “proudly” tell you that I’m “occupying” my Victory! The enemy still tries to mess with me, but I stomp my little foot and firmly tell him I am NOT going back (I have no reverse switch), only forward in the Joy of the Lord which is my strength!

I’m also here at your blog to let you know I’ve nominated you for the Reader Appreciation Award–it appears you’re not opposed to accepting them, but don’t feel any pressure–it’s just a blessing!

Your sister, Caddo

Hello Caddo! Thank you for your response to this post and for the Reader Appreciation Award nomination…which I do accept! Also, I thank God for your deliverance! Keep standing and fighting “the good fight of faith!” Blessings to you and yours!

6. freedomborn says:

Hi Sebastian I loved your message, so much Truth and as I pondered on it I too thought of a garden and what we need to do if we want strong healthy plants that produce good fruit. I don’t have a green thumb mine is brown but I have watched others prepare for planting, first the plot of ground has to be tilled and all the rocks, rubish and old roots etc removed and then it needs fertilises and water and the plants have to be planted deep enough for the roots to take hold and grow or for the seeds to be covered and some sort of protection is then needed to stop pestilence or birds etc from ravishing the crop and then eventually comes the harvesting.

So what did God say to me about preparing so I can mature and grow as a Christian and not remain childish in my understanding which my actions will reflect….

Colossians 3:1-17 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips…….

The rest of these Scriptuers give us what else is needed for a great havest.

Christian Love Anne.

Anne, I appreciate your input! Along with your point of preparation, I would like to add that in addition to the preparation of the soil, we must also work to keep the weeds out of our garden. We must not allow the things listed in the scripture in Colossians to find root to grow in us. Blessings to you and yours!

• freedomborn says:

Hi Sebastian, if the flesh has been put to death then it can’t grow again that’s what the Scriptuers mean and we can’t do it ourselfs only as we empowered by The Holy Spirit.

Romans 6:17-19 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness.

Romans 8: 5- 17 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God. You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, who lives in you. Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. or if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

Christian Love Anne.

Hi Anne! As always, your responses are grounded in the Word and are very welcomed! Thank you again and God Bless! Hi Ron!

7. scythewieldor says:

Dear Sebastion,
    At 53 years of age, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. Only a few years ago did I find a way to express what that meant to me.
    The words that God speaks, though unsee-able, give hope to those who are listening to Him. When men produce actions that agree with that hope, they substantiate it.
    Men give substance to hope by works. Noah substantiated his hope by building the ark God told him to build.
    Abraham occupied himself by leaving Ur and headed for the place God promised. Thus, he created evidence of unseen things.
    Many Christians don’t realize that they are called to teach the nations to observe all the things whatsoever Christ commanded His apostles.
    The New Testament is full of commandments the apostles taught the nations. However, because men won’t substantiate the hope of becoming a blessing to all the families of the earth by observing Christ’s commands, the nations remain unhealed.
    Substantiate the hope.

8. Guy Wolfe says:

Very thought provoking, Sebastian. And a great point. Imagine the changes we could effect as a body of Christ if everyone began to occupy themselves? It starts inward, and when the changes come from within, they have no choice but to show without. Very close to what I’m being led to do over at HGB…perfecting your relationship with Him so that all your other relationships are perfect as well :D. Blessings to you, Brother!

9. Pam M. says:

Wonderful writing!! Thank you!

10. Desiray says:

Great post my friend but many Christians lack self-control that is what Paul was trying to teach the church that they need to have self-control. We lose it self-control when it comes to eating and what we watch and listen to. Just this year I saw a plate design for people to eat small portions and I said to the Lord, My God have we become so lack of self-control that we need someone to design a plate for us to put food on so we won’t over eat? My, my..we have control to walk over serpents heads and not get poison in our bodies we just got to stop making excuses for our lack of self-control.

Hope you didn’t mind me saying all of that but when it comes to this topic I must say it gets me going.

Great point Desiray and it further enforces the point I desired to make. It is great to be concerned with the things of this world but until we ‘take control’ of our own lives and bodies, it may be all for nothing. Jesus says that someone can have an earth-shaking ministry and still “miss” it…he called them “you that work iniquity.” Paul in 1 Corinthians 13 seemed to reiterate the same point by saying “without love” we are nothing. We absolutely must use the Word to get “control” of ourselves! Thank you for bringing that out! Blessings to you! — Sebastian

11. Alison Hulett says:

Yes! We have to be proactive! Great reminder Sebastian…we must give it our all in seeking God in each and every moment of each and every day…for His Glory!

12. Blessings to you, Sebastian! Wonderful message~

13. Lady Deidre says:

Awesome Post, Sebastian! Planting seeds are so important!
    God Bless You!