The Words We Speak

The Words We Speak

“Death and life are in the power of the tongue:” (Proverbs 18:21 – KJV)

Do you know that speaking negative words will have a negative effect on you? The words we speak will have an impact on us—either positively or negatively. Have you ever caught yourself saying that you were “dumb” or “stupid”? Now you may say that those words are innocent and you don’t mean anything by it—I beg to differ.

The Bible tells us that we will be responsible for every “idle word” that we speak (Matthew 12:36 – KJV). An idle word is one that is lazy, inoperative, or non-working. In other words we are to put our words to good use because we will be responsible one way or another. Therefore, why spend time speaking things that we do not mean when, in the same time we can speak things that will benefit us, our families, communities, or even our world?

This is important to note because it is time for us to change our words. Instead of telling everyone who will listen, just how sick we are. We can begin to speak the truth of the Word of God concerning our condition and watch that become our reality—the Bible is clear that God wants us well.

Not only where sickness is concerned, but how often have we spoken that our loved ones will never amount to anything. I understand that this is often spoken out of frustration, but is that what we really want to come to pass? Surely, things may seem to be headed in that direction, but that’s where we use the words of our mouths to make a spiritual detour and begin to say something good and worthwhile (blessings), instead of negative stuff (cursing).

In other words, if you do not like what you are seeing in your life—change what you are saying. Now, you may argue that it is too hard; and I will agree that it may be, but it is definitely worth the effort. When we begin to speak and expect the good we want to come to pass, instead of the bad we are seeing every day, slowly we will begin to see and experience the changes that we believe for.

©2011 Faith1st Ministries

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in Devotional, Faith
12 comments on “The Words We Speak
  1. Elizabeth Bradford says:

Sebastian: Thank you for taking the time and obeying God in establishing this blog! I really try to adhere to this principle. The Holy Spirit is always faithful to alert me to my un-biblical speech then I really have to renovate my mind and and focus on what the Bible says on the matter.

Have you any thoughts on calling children ‘kids’? When I was a child – 65 moons ago – the meaning of the word ‘kid’ was ‘young goat’ Are goats not know for their aggressiveness and stubbornness? Does the fact that the dictionary now has a different meaning change anything?
    Elizabeth

Hello Elizabeth! By the way, that’s my mother’s name! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on this post!

That’s a good question! The meaning of words do change over time. I believe that we should consult the spirit of God as how to govern our speech and other aspects of our lives that is not spelled out in scripture.

After doing that, we should follow His leading with humble obedience.

Blessings to you! –Sebastian

2. […] ‘I can’t believe that’. But what are they really saying? As I pointed out in an earlier blog, The Words We Speak; our words have power and they will either work for us or against us. The power is in us and the […]

3. isaiah43123 says:

Scripture tells us the tongue is a powerful weapon. I always connected this power with the effect on others but not self. Thanks for the new perspective.
    Keep the Faith – but not from others.

Hello Karin! You are welcome and thanks for the comment, I like your tag at the end. Our faith should be personal but not private. Thanks again and may God bless you and yours! — Sebastian

4. admin says:

Thank you for stopping by our blog and commenting. This post is a helpful reminder of how powerful our words are.

5. Marilyn Ryan says:

Definitely believe in blessings and cursings. Great article.

Thank you Marilyn for checking in at Faith1st Ministry and reading The Words We Speak. It is truly an inspired piece and there is more to come. May God continue to guide you by His amazing grace.

6. Jill Weaver says:

Recently I became aware of a something I had been saying that I did not want, “I don’t have time…” After fighting for my life, all I wanted was more time. I had to change that confession.

Thank you for your reply and comment, Jill. It is interesting how ‘innocent’ words and phrases can be working against us. I will talk more about our words and confession in future posts…keep reading and thank you again. – Sebastian